When recording video content, it can be pretty challenging to capture good audio – especially if you don’t have access to a recording studio set-up or want to record Youtube videos or countless video conferences out and about.
The good news is that, over the past few years, the quality of built-in microphones in smartphones has increased dramatically.
However, while this might be the case, the only problem is that they are unable to match the sound quality of an external recording device, such as a studio microphone.
That being said, the good news is that both the Apple Airpods and the Apple AirPods Pro can be used for audio recording with the help of an additional recording app.
If that sounds confusing, don’t panic, because we’re going to show you exactly how to do it!
In this guide, we are going to be showing you how you can use your AirPods (regardless of what kind you currently have) in order to create both audio and video sound.
So, without further ado, keep on reading to discover more.
How To Use The Airpods Mic While Recording Videos
While it certainly is possible to use your AirPods (no matter whether you happen to have the original version or the Pro pods), you’re going to need to make sure that you are using a video recording app in order to use the built-in mic.
At the time of writing this guide, there are currently two types of apps on the market that make it possible to use the built-in mic for recording purposes.
It is important to note that both apps are paid apps, meaning there will be a monthly fee if you choose to use them.
That being said, the two types of apps that are available for you to use are the Filmic Pro app, and also the MoviePro app.
The MoviePro app is a paid option that costs $9.99 per month. It provides the convenience of using your AirPods microphone to easily record video and audio recording.
MoviePro also has various other built-in features that can be used in the editing process.
The only main downside is that MovieApp is only suitable to be used on Apple devices and the iPhone’s native camera app at the time of writing (also see, ‘Best Audio Recording App for iPhone‘)
The other app that is available to capture video and audio sound from your earphones mic is Filmic Pro.
This app is very similar to MoviePro, although it’s worth mentioning that it is a little more expensive to use than MoviePro, and will cost you $14.99 a month if you decide to use it.
However, despite the fact that it is a little more expensive to use than MoviePro, Filmic is compatible with both Android and Apple audio devices, so this makes it a more versatile option.
How To Use MoviePro
If you’d like to use MoviePro, then you can do so by following these instructions:
- First things first, you are going to want to head to the Apple Store and type in MoviePro into the search bar. After you have done this, hit search and then proceed to go ahead and download the app onto your phone.
- Once you have downloaded the app, you will need to open it up and fill in your details. Along with this, you are also going to need to sign up for the payment plan, too.
- Head over to the Settings area of your iPhone and then enable “Bluetooth Mic” under the option listed as “Recorder Settings”.
- Once you have done all of this, you can then go ahead and begin shooting with your Airpods as the mic or input device. You can use it as a mic for video recording, or a handy tool that goes well with your voice memos app.
How To Use FilmicPro
If you don’t want to see MoviePro, you can alternatively opt to use FilmPro – which is compatible with both Android and Apple devices.
Check out the following instructions to begin using the app:
- Similar to MoviePro, you are first going to want to head over to either the Apple Store or Google Store in order to install the app.
- After you have installed it, you’ll need to head over to your Settings area on the device you are using and ensure that the Audio has been set to “Bluetooth Microphone”.
- Go back to the app, enter your details and pick the payment plan. From there, you will then be able to go ahead and start recording with your Airpods as the mic.
You’ve made it to the end of the guide!
To sum up, while it is indeed possible to be able to use your AirPods mic to record audio – you will need to make sure that you are using one of the apps that we have shared with you above to make it possible.
For best results, make sure you’ve turned on the active noise cancellation button on your Airpod.
At the time of writing this guide, the two apps that will allow you to use your AirPods to capture video audio recordings are the MoviePro app as well as the FilmPro app.
Remember, as we’ve already mentioned above, the MoviePro app is only suitable for Apple devices and is currently priced at $9.99 a month.
On the other hand, you also have the option of using the FilmicPro app, which is suitable for both Apple and Android users, although do keep in mind that, at the time of writing, it is priced at the slightly higher price of $14.99 a month.