When it comes to any type of creative endeavor, including Podcasts, creative block is an inevitable part of the creative process that everyone will find themselves having to deal with at some point or another.
In order to make sure that you are able to overcome your current creative block, this guide is going to be showing you some simple methods that you can use to help overcome any roadblocks that you might find yourself encountering.
When followed correctly, these simple tactics can help you to overcome creative roadblocks and get back on your Podcast creation roll. Just read on!
The Different Types Of Creative Block Podcasters Face
As we’re sure you might already be well aware, creative block is a mental block that often prevents the ability to create projects, find inspiration and just generally be able to utilize creative energy.
But, before we get into solutions, we first think that it would be helpful to outline some of the main types of creative roadblocks that many podcasters find themselves facing from time to time.
Let’s check them out below:
Creating New Episode Concepts
This is by far one of the most common types of creative block that podcasters find themselves having to deal with at some point or another.
This is especially true if you have a podcast show that runs regularly, such as weekly or daily.
If you find yourself struggling with this, we recommend re-adjusting your podcast schedule to see if the change in routine helps to get the creative juices flowing again.
Picking Questions To Ask Guests
Here’s another type of creative block that some podcasters find themselves having to deal with from time to time.
If you happen to have a podcast that brings on guest speakers (or you’re planning on doing so) it’s completely normal to find yourself struggling to think of engaging and interesting questions to ask your guest while they are on your show.
If this is something you’re struggling with, taking the time to plan some questions prior to the episode can help.
Creating Visual Content
Another very common type of creative block that podcasters can encounter is struggling with creating visual imagery to support their podcast shows.
This is a lot more common than you might think, so if you’re struggling with cover art or other supporting visual content – why don’t you consider hiring a graphic designer who can do the hard work for you?
How To Overcome Creative Block As A Podcaster?
Overcoming creative block as a podcaster can sometimes be challenging, but there are several methods and strategies that can help you get back on track. Here are some tips to help you regain your creative momentum:
- Take a break: Sometimes, the best way to overcome a creative block is to take a step back from your work. It may feel counterproductive, but giving your brain some time to rest can often lead to new insights and ideas. Try to do activities that are unrelated to your work, such as going for a walk, reading a book, or just relaxing.
- Listen to other podcasts: Find inspiration from other podcasters. This doesn’t mean copying their ideas, but rather observing their approach, storytelling techniques, and how they engage with their audience. This might spark new ideas for your own podcast.
- Involve your audience: Ask your audience what topics they would like you to cover. They may provide you with ideas that you hadn’t considered. Plus, it helps ensure that your podcast remains relevant and interesting to your listeners.
- Collaborate with others: Invite guest speakers or collaborate with other podcasters. This not only introduces fresh perspectives and ideas but also helps to share the creative load.
- Change your environment: Try to work in a different environment. Go to a coffee shop, library, or even just a different room in your house. The change in surroundings might help stimulate your creativity.
- Mind mapping: This is a great tool for generating new ideas. Start with a central theme, and branch out into subtopics or related themes. This can help you visualize your thoughts and can spark new ideas.
- Exercise regularly: Regular physical activity can boost your mood and clear your mind, making it easier for you to think creatively.
- Conduct interviews: Interviews can be a great source of content for a podcast. They don’t just provide material for one episode, but can also inspire future ones.
- Start a series: Rather than trying to come up with completely new topics every episode, consider starting a series on a specific topic. This not only makes planning easier, but also encourages your audience to tune in for the next episode.
- Embrace your block: It may sound strange, but admitting that you are experiencing a creative block can help. By acknowledging the block, you can begin to understand what might be causing it and then work towards solving it.
Now that we have covered all of the main types of creative blocks you’ll likely find yourself dealing with as a podcaster, we are now going to be sharing with you some of the best ways you can overcome them.
Read on below:
Self Reflect On Why You Started
If you’re struggling with a creative block and not having much luck getting over it – one way you can help yourself push through it is to go back to basics.
We recommend that you take some time to think about why you decided to start your podcast. Did you want to take the next step in your career?
Perhaps you wanted to create content of value that can help others?
By rediscovering your “why” for starting a podcast, you should be able to reinvigorate a creative spark.
Take A Break
Even though consistency really is key when it comes to podcasts and other forms of social media content – sometimes the very best thing that you can do is simply opt to take a break.
If you’re struggling with a creative blockage that you can’t seem to work through, why don’t you consider taking a week or two break away from your show to help give yourself some time to reset?
This is one of the most effective ways to banish creative blocks.
Try Exercises That Inspire Creativity
Another awesome way to help overcome blocks and get creative juices flowing again is to regularly do exercises that have been proven to increase creativity.
One of the best exercises that has been specifically linked to an increase in both productivity and creativity is journaling – and it’s a lot easier than you might think.
If you’d like to try this exercise out, all you will need to do is set a timer for around 15-30 minutes, and begin to journal or note down a simple script about whatever you’d like.
There’s no right or wrong, and the best part? Journaling will also help to inspire creativity.
Ask Your Listeners For Help
Last but not least, the final way that you can help to overcome creative blocks as a podcaster is to consider asking your audience/listeners for their input on what they’d like you to include in your podcast show. How To Write Your Podcast Show Notes.
This is one of the best ways to generate ideas and inspiration, while also ensuring that you are creating content you know your listeners are genuinely going to enjoy.
The Bottom Line
All in all, creative roadblocks are something that you’re going to encounter on your journey as a podcaster.
There are many different types of creative blocks that you might find yourself struggling with as a podcaster, and these range from roadblocks such as:
- Being unable to come up with fresh ideas for podcast episodes.
- Struggling to ask engaging and interesting questions to your guests.
- Finding it hard to create visual content to coincide with your podcast episodes.
- Struggling to decide on a name for your podcast.
Whatever type of creative blocks you are currently facing as a podcast creator, making sure to follow some of the helpful tactics that we have shared with you above will no doubt help you work through your creative blockages.
Why don’t you consider saving this page?
That way, if you ever need to come back and refresh your knowledge on how to overcome creative block, you’ll know exactly where to find us.
Thanks for reading!