When you are getting into the world of podcasting, you might be concerned about the price.
Looking at most podcasters online, you’ll probably see a lot of microphones that look like spaceships and be concerned as to how the heck you can afford them.
But there are microphones out there that will be affordable enough to appeal to the first-time podcaster.
Some of these podcast microphones have USB connectivity, which is great for just plugging in and playing.
So where can you find the best cheap microphones for podcasting? How much will you have to pay for a lower price podcast mic? What features does a decent podcast microphone need to have?
Well, if you want to know the answers to these questions and more, we suggest that you keep reading.
- #1 Rode Podcaster
- #2 Blue Yeti USB Microphone
- #3 Rode NT-USB USB Condenser Microphone
- #4 AKG Pro Audio Lyra
- #5 IK Multimedia iRig Mic
- #6 PreSonus Revelator Dynamic USB Microphone
- Buyer’s Guide for Choosing the Best Cheap Microphones for Podcasting
- Frequently Asked Questions
#1 Rode Podcaster
First up, we have a Rode microphone. The Rode Podcaster is definitely one of the best cheap microphones for podcasting that will provide you with everything for a professional-sounding podcast.
This microphone looks amazing and for the price, you can be assured that you will have all the features that you need to record a decent podcast.
This is great for anyone just getting into podcasting, as it comes with a simple USB port (also see ‘Best USB Podcasting Mics‘) that you can use to plug directly into your computer.
This microphone is very durable. You can be sure that it won’t bend or break when you are using it. This is great for attaching to a tripod, so you won’t have to worry about vibrations going into the recording software.
This comes with a volume dial on the side, which will allow you to switch the intensity of what you are using it for.
It is also great for recording large groups of people, which will allow you to cut down on costs when it comes to buying multiple microphones.
- Great design – when it comes to the aesthetic quality of a microphone, then this simply can’t be beaten.
- This comes with a mixing dial – if you want to control the input volume of your microphone, then you can with this very handy switch.
- Affordable – for the number of features available with this mic, then this is definitely one of the best cheap microphones for podcasting. It is very affordable and ideal for anyone just getting into podcasting.
- This does not come with a tripod – you might be struggling to get this one mounted properly, so if you want stability, we recommend getting something with a tripod.
#2 Blue Yeti USB Microphone
Next up, we have a great-looking device that will not only give you great stability but also crystal clear audio quality.
This device will allow you to go from a single voice to a full table read. This will allow you to record groups and save you the cost of having to buy additional mics.
The Blue Yeti is one of the most versatile and best cheap microphones for podcasting that you can get on the market, allowing you to record not just vocals but also instruments too.
This comes with great build quality, with a weighted mic that will absorb any vibrations and shocks that you will get when you are recording.
This comes with many pickup patterns that will allow you to switch between unidirectional and multidirectional settings.
The Blue Yeti has a tilting system that will allow you to align the microphone with your mouth with very little fuss. It can often be difficult if you are recording but having a difficult time adjusting the microphone as you record.
- Great quality – this comes with recordings that you can be sure will match all the professional ones that you hear on the iTunes top 10 lists.
- Sturdy – when it comes to achieving a calm sound with little vibrations or shocks, this is the ideal microphone for you.
- Easy to use – if you are worried about installing lots of software and having to get the right audio jacks, then you shouldn’t be, as this is an easy setup to have.
- Not the best design – this microphone might look a little dated, but if you are not filming yourself, then it will not matter.
#3 Rode NT-USB USB Condenser Microphone
This next budget mic is simply great for recording professional audio. The plug-in and play operation will definitely appeal to anyone who has not done any podcasting before.
This microphone really is so simple. All you have to do is place it on your desk, plug it into your computer, and your computer should register it straight away.
This comes with an integrated pop shield that you can be certain will muffle all the Ps and Ts, giving you professional-sounding audio that is ideal for podcast and music recording.
Rode NT is a compact microphone that is very easy to use. It won’t take up much desk space, which is great if you are recording in a smaller apartment or podcasting booth.
With a stand that is very robust and can be used to set up your microphone quickly and efficiently, the Rode NT is definitely one of the best cheap microphones for podcasting.
- Good sound quality – if it is great audio that you are looking for, then this is one of the best cheap microphones for podcasting for you.
- Great integrated features – whether it is the pop shield or the stand itself, this comes with plenty of features that will give you stability and durability.
- Carry case – this comes with a carry case, which is great if you are going to be podcasting from one place to another.
- Too basic – this might not have some of the great features you can get with a more expensive mic. Intermediate podcasters might find this more limiting.
#4 AKG Pro Audio Lyra
Next up in our list of the best cheap microphones for podcasting, we have a microphone that comes at a great price, decent sound quality, and a retro look that will certainly make you stand out above the rest of the podcasters out there.
This comes with switchable pickup patterns that will allow you to take in sound from all directions or focus in one place.
You can connect this microphone to different devices, whether it is your Bluetooth, tablet, or computer, making it one of the most versatile mics that we have on this list.
As one of the best cheap microphones for podcasting, the AKG Pro is also a great portable mic. Not weighing too heavily in your bag, it will certainly be good to take it out on the road or record in different places.
This is great for spoken word, as it comes with an audio exclusion that eliminates any distracting background sounds.
This has versatile mounting options too. It comes with a sturdy stand that can be used for your podcast mic or a traditional music microphone.
- Portable – this is one of the most travel-friendly microphones on the market.
- Great design – if you have a penchant for old-timey devices, then you can’t go wrong with this one.
- Great mounting – this comes with a great and stable mounting system, which is very important when you are recording a podcast.
- Not great for anyone who likes the modern look – the square design of this microphone might not appeal to people who like top-of-the-line gear.
#5 IK Multimedia iRig Mic
Next up, we have a great podcast microphone that resembles something more like a traditional mic. This will be a very easy one for anyone who likes things with a conventional touch.
You can plug this one into your computer or your tablet and then get recording straight away. This comes with a handheld design, which is great for anyone who likes to move around when they’re podcasting.
This microphone is very sturdy, giving you everything that you will need for a decent recording. As one of the best cheap microphones for podcasting, you can be sure that you will have great quality on this microphone.
This comes with a lot of bundled apps that will be great for getting the right sound recording quality.
You can use this one with any type of stand, so this is ideal if you like to sit down and stand up when you are recording your podcast.
- Great setup – this comes with a simple plug-in and play setup, which is great if you are looking for a quick setup.
- Portable – this is great for going out and about. If you like recording a podcast outside the confines of your home, then this is a great one for you.
- Hefty – this mic is great to hold in the hands. It also has built-in vibration control, which will really help you to keep the rogue sounds out.
- Uses micro USB – this might not be suitable for anyone who wants that high-definition audio setup for their podcast.
#6 PreSonus Revelator Dynamic USB Microphone
When it comes to podcast recording, sometimes you’ll want something that is versatile and can be used for any number of reasons.
If you like running your acoustic guitar through the desk, then you won’t have to worry, one of the best cheap microphones for podcasting the Presonus Revelator comes with one of the easiest plug-ins and play setups.
This microphone comes with an amazing loopback quality, which will allow you to stream many different audio devices.
This microphone comes with built-in effects, which is great if you are thinking of using it for adding that delay or reverb to your voice.
- Great price point – as with all the other microphones on this best cheap microphones for podcasting list, this one is very cheap and comes packed with amazing features.
- Great for recording vocals and music – if you are going to want a microphone that does everything, then you can’t go wrong with this model.
- Bulky – this might be too unwieldy for some people, especially if you want to take it out on the road with you.
Buyer’s Guide for Choosing the Best Cheap Microphones for Podcasting
When you are looking for the best cheap microphones for podcasting, there will be a few features that you simply must have:
How Much Is It?
This is obviously one of the most important things when you are on a budget. We would certainly recommend not spending over $100 for a budget mic.
How Sturdy Is It?
You’ll need a microphone that does not shift around that you can have planted in the middle of your podcast table without it moving.
What Is It Made From?
This is very important when it comes to having the right sound quality (see also ‘How To Make Your Mic Sound Better‘). Most of these best cheap microphones for podcasting are made from sturdy metal, which will help when getting dynamic sound and taking knocks and bangs.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Features Does A Podcast Microphone Have?
Most podcast microphones are designed for recording the voice alone. Some of them have many features built-in that will facilitate multi-directional and uni-directional recording (also see ‘Best Dynamic Microphones‘).
A lot of microphones that are designed for the music alone will be specially made to pick up the nuances of whatever instrument you are recording, but might not necessarily be adapted for the human voice.
We hope that this article has helped you to decide which of these best cheap microphones for podcasting fit your needs and style.