When it comes to podcasting or recording music, it is very important to get the right kind of microphone.
This will go doubly if you want to record music through your Android phone. Because how is the best way to go about recording through your phone?
If you are going to want to record simple audio, then you’re in luck, as you can do it all through your phone now.
However, you won’t want to rely on the built-in microphone, as this will pick up way too much room ambiance and the quality will be very low.
So what are the best microphones for your Android phone? How much will you have to pay for one of these mics? How can you hook it up to your phone?
Well, if you want to know the answers to these questions and more, then we recommend that you keep reading.
Best Android Microphones – Ranked and Tested
|#1||Rode SmartLav+ Lavalier Microphone For Smartphones||Click for Best|
|#2||Audio-Technica ATR3350xiS Omni Condenser Microphone||Click for Best|
|#3||Movo PM10 Lavalier Microphone||Click for Best|
|#4||Zoom Am7 Stereo Microphone For Android||Click for Best|
|#5||Rode VideoMic Me Compact TRRS Cardioid Mini-Shotgun Microphone||Click for Best|
#1 Rode SmartLav+ Lavalier Microphone For Smartphones
First off, we have a microphone by Rode, one of the most respected microphones and sound recording manufacturers in the world.
This comes with a reinforced cable that will allow you to feed this lapel mic up through your clothing without worrying about snagging and breaking the cable itself.
This is perfect for smartphone recording, all you need to do is plug it in and open your default sound recorder. This is ideal for anyone who does not like fiddling with microphones.
This comes with a solid clip that you can be sure will attach very securely to your clothing. The microphone itself is very discreet and you’ll hardly notice it when attached.
This comes with a very solid and durable 3.5mm jack that will slot in easily into the headphone jack of most Android phones.
This comes with a few basic accessories that include a carry pouch that will enable you to take it from one place to another without it getting damaged.
- Durable – this is one of the most solid microphones that you can find on the market. It is made from durable plastic that you can be sure won’t snap if it gets snagged.
- Great for smartphone use – this comes with a jack that you can simply and easily plug into the headphone jack on your phone.
- Wind resistant – this is great if you want to record a podcast or conduct an interview in the great outdoors.
- 1-year warranty – this is great if you want to be sure that if your microphone breaks then you can easily have it fixed.
- Not that many features – if you want an Android mic that comes with a whole host of features, then you might want to search for a different model.
#2 Audio-Technica ATR3350xiS Omni Condenser Microphone
Next up, we have a microphone that comes with a jack and a TRS connection, making this one of the most versatile microphones that you can get on this list.
This comes with a few compact attachments that you can use to charge and record. This comes with a compact battery that will be perfect for discreet recording.
This comes with an omnidirectional microphone, which is perfect for group recordings. You can also plug in your own headphones to monitor the quality of your sound.
This comes with a clothing clip, which is perfect for attaching this one right under your nose.
This comes with dual output, both mono and stereo. This versatility is great if you know how you’re going to be editing your audio.
This comes with a jack that you can easily use to hook up to your smartphone, tablet or laptop. This is great if you like to record across multiple platforms.
- Omnidirectional – picking up sound from all different directions is perfect if you are recording multiple people at the same time.
- Switching channels – if you need to switch channels, then this is the perfect microphone for you. You can even pan the sound between L and R channels.
- Separate battery pack – this comes with a separate battery unit that makes it very easy to charge this one up quickly and efficiently.
- Comes with a clip – you can be sure that you’ll have enough to anchor this clip to the inside of your shirt.
- Small – some users have reported that the controls on this microphone are very fiddly and they find it difficult to alter the sound options.
#3 Movo PM10 Lavalier Microphone
This next microphone comes with crystal clear audio recording, which is great if you want to use your phone as a professional audio recorder.
This comes with a simple plug in and play operation. All you have to do is get this jacked into your phone and you’ll be able to record simply and quickly.
This is great for travel. If you are doing a travel blog and you want to keep your travel studio light, then we would recommend that you use this smartphone and mic setup.
This microphone comes with plenty of accessories including 2 foam windscreens, a clip and a carrying travel bag. This is ideal if you want to keep your delicate microphone away from the elements.
This does not require any batteries, you can charge it straight from your phone. This is ideal if you are looking for something that you won’t have to worry about charging after a few hours.
- Decent headphone jack – this will deliver you a very solid transfer of sound from your microphone straight to your phone.
- Great for traveling – if you are going to be taking this across the country, you can use your phone and mic for a studio.
- Good accessories – whether it is the lapel clip or the windscreens, you have plenty here to get a reliable and professional sound.
- No need for batteries – this is great if you don’t want to worry about using batteries in your phone.
- The clip isn’t secure – some users on Amazon have reported that this clip isn’t very sturdy, which will certainly cause problems if you are filming.
#4 Zoom Am7 Stereo Microphone For Android
This next microphone is something a little different from the others on our list. This one you can safely mount on your camera and it will still record in surround sound.
This camera is very secure and durable, giving you the option of mounting it to the top of your Android, which makes it ideal for both sound recording and filming.
This will deliver you a very professional sound recording, which is ideal if you are looking to record a podcast that will sound exactly like the ones you hear on your iTunes top ten list.
This will allow all directions of recording, whether it is at a 90, 180 or 270-degree angle. You can record a crowd of people or individuals with a high degree of clarity.
This comes with a slide wheel that will allow you to visually monitor the trajectory of your sound.
This will work with your camera app as well as most sound recording software that you can find on your Android. This is great for making podcasts while you are traveling.
- A solid design – when it comes to having the right design and build quality, then you won’t have to worry, this one will certainly survive its fair share of knocks and bangs.
- Free recording app – if you are looking for something that will be easy to use and record, then you should try the free Google app that comes with this microphone.
- Angled sound recording – if you want something that you can angle to record lots of different sounds at once, then this is a great model for you.
- Great price – considering the number of features that come with this microphone, it’s amazing how inexpensive this is.
- Too heavy – some users have claimed that this microphone makes their phone too heavy on one side, which is especially difficult when using a tripod.
#5 Rode VideoMic Me Compact TRRS Cardioid Mini-Shotgun Microphone
Finally, we have something different from all the Android microphones that have come beforehand. This is a mini-shotgun microphone that you can easily clip into the housing of your phone.
This is a directional microphone that you can clip easily into your phone’s headphone jack. All you have to do is point your phone in the direction of whatever you want to record.
This will deliver high-quality sound, which is great if you are filming outdoors. This also comes with a windshield that you can use to reduce the amount of wind that you’ll get into your microphone.
This comes with a very easy-to-use microphone jack. All you have to do with this one is plug it in and start running your phone’s onboard sound recording software.
- Great design – this microphone is not only very high-definition, but it will also easily fit into your pocket.
- Jack plug-in – when it comes to easily plug in your microphone, then you can’t get easier than this one.
- Dead cat muffler – this comes with a muffler thrown in, which will help to protect your phone from the harsher wind elements.
- Durable – this is made from solid steel with protective mesh on the inside to stop any intrusive bits from getting into your phone.
- Too small – some users have complained that this microphone is too small and easily gets lost.
When it comes to having the right microphone for your Android, there will be a few features that you simply must have.
It’ll need to be durable and easy to use, especially if you are new to podcasting. Here’s a list of things to look out for:
How Much Does It Cost?
This will all depend on your budget, but luckily, as these mics are so small, you’ll be able to get one for anywhere between $50 and $100.
What Type Of Mic Is It?
As you will have seen above, there are many different types of microphones, whether it is lapel, shotgun or unidirectional. Which type you will get will all depend on the type of recording that you’ll be doing.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Android Microphones Good For Podcasts?
There are plenty of people who use Android microphones to record their podcast, as they eliminate room noise and give you that professional level of sound recording.
However, we would recommend that you use a smartphone to record backup audio for your main podcast.
Can You Get Wireless Microphones?
You can get wireless microphones, a lot of which can be plugged into the headphone jack of your phone.
If you are going to be recording a podcast while you are out and about, then we would certainly recommend that you pick up a wireless mic.
We hope that this article has helped you to decide which is the best microphone for your Android phone. You should make sure that it has multi-recording abilities and is compatible with your device.