Recording a podcast can be a tricky and highly complex process. There are plenty of things to bear in mind when it comes to practicality, one of the more annoying things to deal with would be having podcast mics trailing everywhere.
This is why podcast microphones without wires will be handy for you. You won’t have to worry about tripping over them or getting yanked out of your computer when recording a crucial section. They also give you the freedom to roam around.
So what are the best wireless microphones that you can get on the market? How much will you have to pay for a wireless microphone? What other features can you get with a wireless microphone that you can’t get with a normal one?
Well, if you want the answer to all of these questions and more, then we would suggest that you keep reading.
- #1 Rode SmartLav+ Lavalier Microphone For Smartphones
- #2 Rode Wireless Go
- #3 Sennheiser Pro Audio EW 112P G4
- #4 Audio-Technica PRO 88W-R35 VHF Wireless Lavalier System
- #5 Samson Go Mic
- Buyer’s Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
#1 Rode SmartLav+ Lavalier Microphone For Smartphones
This first microphone comes with an omnidirectional function, which is great if you are looking for something that will pick up all the noise in the surrounding environment.
This microphone has been specially tailored for smartphones, so you can easily have it set up to record without having to download too much software.
This is a broadcast-quality microphone that will deliver amazing sound to you no matter where you are. This is also a great microphone for outdoor recording.
This comes with a Kevlar-enforced cable, so you won’t have to worry about it breaking when you are taking it out and about with you.
As we have mentioned above, this microphone will pick up sound from all directions. It does this by being particularly sensitive to sound coming from a certain direction.
This is a small unit, which makes it great for carrying between podcast studios. You can also keep this in your carry case for when to take it out.
- Very portable – this is one of the most portable mics that you can get on this list, ideal for carrying between podcast studios.
- Great for outdoor recording – you can take this mic outside, which is great if you are doing interviews.
- Durable – despite being so small, you can be sure that this microphone will last as it is made from particularly strong materials.
- Clips – you can attach this to any part of your body, this gives you the freedom to move around when you are recording.
- Too compact – this might not offer the dynamic range of sound that some of the more professional podcasters are looking for.
#2 Rode Wireless Go
Next up, we have a belt receiver and transmitter that will help you pick up the sound that is crystal clear. This is great if you are doing field recordings.
This is very lightweight and portable, which is great if you are going to be recording a large group of people outdoors and you want a separate microphone for each one.
This comes with 7 hours of battery charge, which is perfect if you are recording a short podcast.
You can switch the recording options of this wireless microphone system. This is great if you want to have targeted recording or pick up a wide range of sound from a larger area.
You can even put this one on battery saver mode, which is great if you are looking for something that you can use for long periods of time.
- Compact and lightweight – this is a very easy microphone pack that you can carry around with you, perfect for shipping between podcast studios.
- Great price – this comes at a great price point, which is ideal if you are looking for something that you can buy in bulk for relatively cheap.
- Rechargeable – this is better than having a battery set that requires you to load up on batteries.
- Durable – just because these battery packs are small, that doesn’t mean that they will break very easily.
- Does not transmit to an external mic – you’ll only be able to use the onboard mic with this product, which might limit your options.
#3 Sennheiser Pro Audio EW 112P G4
Next up, we have another set of handy portable recording devices (see also ‘Best Podcast Recorder‘) that can be plugged into your smartphone.
These were very easy to use and can be set up very quickly. You won’t have to worry about having to devote long hours to finding the right software that will ensure that your microphones are compatible.
These can operate at a range of anywhere between 100 and 300 feet, which makes them great microphones for use in a large room or even outside.
This comes with 8 hours operation time, which is perfect for recording most podcasts.
You can use this with a broadcast microphone or you can switch up the recording output to ensure that you have the best quality of sound.
These units are very compact and you can blend them in with any part of your clothing. You won’t have to worry about them getting damaged, as you can put them easily in your pocket.
- 8 hours of operation – this will run for triple the amount of time that you will need to record a standard podcast.
- Compact – this is easy to clip onto any type of clothing, which makes it great for both hands-free recording and transportation.
- Great sound quality – if you are looking for the optimum level of sound, then we would certainly recommend this microphone.
- Reliable – you can be certain that you’ll get a very strong and consistent connection between the receiver and the transmitter.
- Expensive – this is not a cheap option, although a decent sound quality comes at a high price.
#4 Audio-Technica PRO 88W-R35 VHF Wireless Lavalier System
Next up, we have a dynamic wireless microphone that can record from all different directions. This one is sensitive to certain noises and will pick them up with clarity.
This comes with a large transmitter that can record high-quality sound without any stuttering or audio dropout.
This comes with a handheld mic that will give you the option of recording either close by your subject or to get that decent distance between the two.
This can operate between 100 and 300 meters, which is perfect if you are looking for a flexible microphone that you can move around with.
This is powered by a single 9v battery, which makes it perfect if you are recording anything that is under 5 hours.
You can easily monitor the quality and consistency of your sound with an earphone jack that comes built into the microphone itself.
- Sturdy construction – you can be sure that you’ll be able to handle this one quite roughly, the single-piece construction is designed to withstand a lot of knocks and bumps.
- Camera mounting capabilities – you can easily attach this one to the housing of a DLSR camera or similar. This is ideal for filming combinations.
- Monitor your sound with earbuds – if you are wanting to keep track of the quality of your audio, especially when you are out in windy conditions, then plug in some decent headphones.
- Antenna – with a decent antenna comes good quality reception, which is perfect for high-quality sound.
- Pricey – this is another very pricey unit, so make sure that you are going to want to record high-quality sound over many sessions.
#5 Samson Go Mic
Next up, we have a portable wireless microphone that comes with its own mini-soundboard that will enable you to change the frequency settings on your mic to whatever you need.
This comes with a very clever receiver system that you can use to clip onto the back of your smartphone or tablet. This device is one of the most flexible we’ve found when it comes to recording.
You can even mount this one on a tripod, which is great if you want to record that highly stable sound in windy conditions.
This is one of the best microphones that you can get when it comes to battery life. You can keep this one running for a whopping 13 hours on one single charge.
This one can operate up to 100 meters, which makes it a solid wireless podcast recorder. However, there are other podcast mics on this list that work further away.
This comes with a great selection of cables, from mini-USB to regular USB and 3.5 mm cables.
- Omnidirectional recording – you can pick up plenty of sound sources from numerous different directions. This microphone is very sensitive to sound.
- 13 hours of battery life – you can record this one for long periods of time, which is great if you are nowhere near a power point.
- Great portable soundboard – if you are looking for something that can easily integrate with your phone or tablet, then this is the unit for you.
- Many recording options – despite the smaller size, you can operate this one with many different types of external microphones.
- Interference – there are some users that have reported this microphone as having interference issues, especially when recording outside.
When you are shopping for wireless microphones for your podcasting abilities, then you’ll need to make sure that they come with many different features.
Here are just a few things that you should be looking out for:
How Many Meters Does It Function At?
This will be very important if you are moving around. One of the last things you’ll want is for your microphone to drop out because you have moved too far away from the receiver. One thing you’ll want from a microphone is consistency.
How Easy Is It To Set Up?
When you are out recording in the field or if this is your first attempt at podcasting, you’ll want something that is fairly easy to set up. There are many larger podcast mics that take at least an hour to set up with the right software.
Luckily there are many microphones on this list that you can simply plug into your phone or tablet.
Is It Rechargeable?
When you are recording, especially if it is outside, it isn’t always easy to get to the store to buy more batteries. This is why a long battery life and the ability to charge it quickly will be essential.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Much Will I Have To Pay For A Wireless Microphone For My Podcast?
Most of the microphones on this list do not go under the $100 mark. However, the more you spend on a microphone then the more features that it will come with and the most reliable it is likely to be.
Are Wireless Microphones The Best Kind For Podcasting?
Generally most podcasts use wired microphones as they are more stable and the sound output can be recorded much better.
However, if you are going to be recording your podcasts in different places or conducting outside interviews, then a wireless mic will be ideal.
We hope that our list of some of the best wireless microphones will help you decide which is the best type for your podcasting needs.