A podcast is a good way to interact with your audience as a content creator. However, as a beginner, you can’t always afford fancy studios and equipment.
But, you don’t know that the iPhone on your hand is more than anything you need for high-quality content. Firstly, you must select a topic that aligns with your interest, hobbies, or passion.
It needs to be relatable rather than just blatantly spurting out knowledge for the audiences to consume.
And after generating a good idea for content, it comes all to how one is recording a podcast, how much effort that person is putting into making it more attractive to their audience.
Recording podcasts on an iPhone is like a cakewalk, and one has to follow a few simple steps to get good results.
- Selecting an iPhone for Creating Podcast
- How to Record a Podcast on an iPhone?
- What settings are the Best for Podcasting?
- What iPhone Model Should You Use?
- Should You Use an External Microphone?
- How to Edit a Podcast on an iPhone?
- Closing Thoughts
Selecting an iPhone for Creating Podcast
Recording podcasts on your iPhone is not hard if you know what you are doing. And it does not matter which iPhone you are using. But still, not all iPhones are equal.
Speed and quality are the two foremost things you need to ensure to make your podcast creating process smooth and enjoyable.
The leading hardware of an iPhone is the same in more or less all models, but some of the features may not be available in all iPhones.
Based upon the countries, there can be differences in the hardware and firmware. For example, iPhones in Japan cannot disable camera shutter sound, whereas iPhones in China cannot do FaceTime audio.
Also, based on the models, there can be distinguishable differences in iPhones as those with Intel hardware shows slower hardware speed than models with Qualcomm hardware.
The Qualcomm model consistently achieved faster speeds. The various studies performed in different models used chiefly by US phone users showed that the Qualcomm model worked well in the case of weak signals.
How to Record a Podcast on an iPhone?
There are different ways by which one can create and record a podcast in their iPhones. If someone wishes to record a podcast, they don’t need a fancy studio, and they can use their iPhones to create the same.
Firstly, you need to keep two important points in mind. You must install a particular iPhone app that will allow one to record a podcast, edit it and even publish it right from their phone.
The other most important gear one needs to record a quality podcast is a good microphone so that the sound quality can be crisp and up to the mark. So investment in a microphone is the most crucial step to creating a podcast.
Now the central part is to get into creating the podcast.
- At first, download Podbean, which is a podcast hosting service. But one can use it for much more than that, and the app will eventually guide the user to record their podcast.
- After the installation, you need to sign up to access all the app’s features.
- On the home screen, the record button can be visible, or one can also click on the “account” in the top-right of the screen to access the recording button.
- After the recording page opens up, you will find various features to create a good podcast. For example, the app comes with pre-loaded music to accompany your speech. But the user can also import music from their gallery or the internet.
- After the recording, if the user messes up or wants to change any part of the recording, they can always do that with the help of a trim/cut feature that will remove or help adjust everything that has been recorded.
- After editing, one can play and preview the whole podcast before publishing.
- If you are satisfied with it, save it in the “My Drafts” section. The user can publish it whenever they want from the saved files.
Apart from this, other apps provide much more advanced features which give depth and enhance the quality of the podcast.
The other helpful features that you can find in other advanced apps. Remember, you will need more experience to manage these features effectively.
- The feature of adding parts in the future episode wherever necessary is worthy of having.
- Getting to record with one’s respective friends is quite impressive.
- Many apps provide a transition feature that helps make the podcast quite impactful.
- Some other podcast creator apps that you can use are:
- Spreaker: It is constantly updating its services. Most importantly, it lets you live telecast your podcast.
- Anchor: It is easy to use and has multiple advanced features that double up your podcast creating speed. Also, it has the benefits of transitions of short tracks that speed up the whole process.
Find the best audio recording apps for your iPhone here.
What settings are the Best for Podcasting?
A setting for recording a podcast is very vital, even if one uses an iPhone to record it. Several gears are required to get a perfect podcast.
Tripod, a good quality noise-canceling mic, a recording space, a mixer, a recording software, etc. Make sure you have these if you want to record a good podcast:
Professionals and experienced people say it’s an important task to have an original idea, and one must have a proper perspective of the topic they are talking about.
On top of that, you must do your industry research before you make a podcast on some specific niche. Choose a topic you are well-versed in.
Though it is not mandatory to have a studio for you, it is advisable to have a recording space to record and have a clean perspective to provide an excellent podcast episode. It is always better to choose a soundproof room.
You need to put your recordings together after making it. It is an integral part, and a mixer is worth investing in because it makes the podcast more attractive to the audience.
Whether adding background music, laying tracks, or experimenting with effects, it makes the podcast a complete package with all its ornaments for the audience to listen to.
Searching and investing in good software is as necessary as finding a good topic for the podcast.
Good software can make one’s work much easier and less time-consuming. Even after the podcast’s recording is done, the central part of editing it and making it more attractive is essential.
Last but not least, you must invest in a pair of good quality noise-canceling headphones.
It is often advisable that when someone is recording a podcast on an iPhone, rather than using any poor quality headphones, one must buy noise-canceling headphones to eliminate any extra noises from outside and thus reduce any distraction.
However, keep in mind that no expensive and fancy equipment can replace good quality content with well-set ideas and perspectives.
What iPhone Model Should You Use?
There is no specificity for which iPhone one should ideally use to record a podcast. You can use any advanced technology iPhone which has all the features.
Things you should keep in mind while buying an iPhone model for creating a podcast:
- Make sure you can install any podcast apps on the phone.
- Your iPhone model must have enough internal storage space for storing all the recorded drafts.
The high quality and functioning of the phone are much necessary for recording a smooth podcast and making it ready after editing and mixing.
Should You Use an External Microphone?
An external microphone is as important as anything else in the case of recording a podcast. An iPhone indeed has a built-in mic but the quality by which the audio records in that built-in mic is quite questionable.
Though it is not necessary that you need to have a big set-up to record a podcast, for a high-quality podcast, investing in a good quality mic can only make your audio more clear.
It improves the audio quality so that whatever content you are giving out to your audiences, they can also enjoy the act of listening while learning new things.
People often lose interest and quickly turn away from not aesthetically pleasing content, and poor quality will diminish the value of your content. You will have so many benefits for using an external microphone:
Even though you can’t afford a studio for recording, an external microphone would give you studio-quality audio.
A microphone is compact and easy to carry. What happens if you want to interview someone outside your workspace. You can easily carry the microphone and use it anywhere without compromising the audio quality.
Moreover, microphones are beginner-friendly and can be used swiftly. Just plug the mic into your iPhone via a lightning connector, and you are good to go.
For example, the RODE range of microphones offers some fantastic options that deliver crystal clear audio and connect directly to the phone.
Many other microphones are more advanced, which allows the microphone to clip instantly into the phone’s headphone or lightning input and thus capture clear and crisp audio.
This type of microphone focuses on Point3d AR, reducing the background noise.
Microphones such as AI-Micro, which uses a high-quality ultra-compact audio interface to record a two-person podcast does the job with absolute ease.
It has lots of other features that help the microphone connect with the phone and increase the sound quality for the audience to have a better listening experience.
How to Edit a Podcast on an iPhone?
Yes, content is essential for distinguishing your online presence as a content creator.
Along with that, you need a good recording space with minimum noise and a good-quality microphone to further minimize any unwanted sound.
Lastly comes the most innovative step where you can show your talent of presenting a piece of information artistically and cleverly that speaks to your audience directly.
Now comes the editing part. Though there are multiple techniques and processes that one can use to elevate the quality of their podcast, these are some of the basic ones that you must know.
Here is the step-by-step guide to quickly go through the editing process:
- Firstly, one needs to import the audio they have previously recorded. Place the audio material in the sequence you want to put it. When you import many tracks in a row, the tracks might be imported haphazardly. In that case, one must move the records in sequential order so that all the audio is on a single track. They can even leave an empty track to add any secondary audio later.
- One should always re-listen to their material, decide what section they want to keep and what portion they want to delete, and consider changing the tracks’ order.
- You can use the noise reduction tool to eliminate any computer noise, background hiss, or any other kind of unwanted noise.
- Delete all the unwanted material from the track and reorganize everything properly.
- Keep the volume consistent throughout the podcast and try to improve the overall audio quality of the podcast by using the compressor tool or equalization tool.
- Go through the audio, again and again, to make sure that no unwanted noise is distracting the main audio. Sometimes you will have gaps between different tracks, and you must delete them.
- However, things are not always that easy when it comes to editing. For example, what happens if there is a sneezing noise, and although you want to delete the noise, you do not want to close the gap? For such instances, copy an audio section with clear audio and paste it into the gap. In this way, you will preserve the continuity of the natural flow of speech.
- After all the fixing and rearranging, you can export the audio file in mp3 format, and then it becomes ready to be published.
Thus recording and editing a podcast on an iPhone is not rocket science that you can’t grasp. It is easy to follow if one has the perfect tool and step-by-step guide.
Creating the set-up and buying the equipment for recording and editing can seem like a long and heckling process, but it is not if one enjoys the whole thing.
Initially, it might feel a bit uncomfortable adapting to all the new stuff, but it becomes the most fun thing as soon as you get the hang of it.
With the right kind of equipment, methods, and guidance, one can quickly put out the best content and ideas through their podcast out in the world.