You won’t be wrong if you think there is a “podcast boom” currently happening across the globe! With thousands of active podcasts and many budding podcasters investing in affordable podcasting equipment, the numbers can only keep going up.
This creates plenty of listening opportunities for people to “tune into” what has been aptly described as “radio on the internet.” And if you use an iPhone, you can download and listen to countless episodes mostly for free.
If you don’t already know, this quick guide will show you how to listen to a podcast on iPhone.
How to Search for Podcasts on iPhone
With the vast number of podcasts available, it might seem challenging to figure out where to start looking. However, the easiest and most common way to find podcasts is to search your preferred podcast listening app on your phone.
Depending on the specific app on your iPhone, you can get hints in the form of featured sections or charts to help you choose what you’ll like to listen to.
However, even if your app is pretty basic, you can still cut through all the noise and narrow down your search by entering a few keywords into the search bar of the app. For example, you may want to listen to the most effective way to lose weight. Simply type something along the lines of “how to lose weight” and the app will spit out several suggestions.
How to Download Podcasts on iPhone
Downloading your favorite podcast episodes to your iPhone is pretty straightforward, whether you are using the Apple Podcasts app, iTunes app, or some other popular podcast app.
Here’s how to download podcasts to your device using Apple’s default app and iTunes.
From the Apple Podcasts App on your iPhone
- Navigate to the Podcasts app icon and tap it.
- Head on the App Store to download the app for free if it is not available on your iPhone.
- Tap the “Top Stations” or “Catalog” option to browse for available podcasts.
- Tap the “Search” option if you know the name of a particular episode you want to download.
- Tap the name of the podcast.
- To download the episode, tap the download button or arrow next to the particular episode.
- Tap the “Subscribe” option if you would like to subscribe to the podcast on your iPhone. This option allows new episodes of the podcast to automatically download to your iPhone as soon as they are available.
- You will be prompted to enter your password. Type in your password and tap “Download” to start downloading the episode to your iPhone.
From iTunes App
- Start the iTunes app by tapping the icon on your phone
- Tap the “Search” option and enter the name of a specific podcast you want to download.
- Tap the “More” option if you want to browse through all the available podcasts.
- Once the name shows up tap it to display the list of episodes.
- Next, tap on the download button or arrow icon next to your desired episode to download it to your device.
- You will be prompted for your password. Enter your Apple account password and tap “Download” to begin downloading the episode to your iPhone.
How to Listen to a Podcast on iPhone
Now that we are done with the downloading aspect, let’s get into the crux of the matter: how to listen to a podcast on iPhone.
Typically, your iPhone is equipped with a built-in podcasts app. While this is pretty basic, it will do for any average podcast listener. It allows you to search Apple’s podcast library for shows and subscribe to them easily.
Your first task is to locate the app on your iPhone. Look for the app called Apple Podcasts and then tap it each time you want to listen to your favorite podcast.
If for some reason the Apple Podcasts app is not on your iPhone, you can always download it from the App Store for free.
Here’s how to listen to a podcast on your iPhone:
- Tap the Apple Podcasts app to open it.
- Tap the “Search” icon (usually, it is a magnifying glass button at the bottom of the navigation) to open the search page.
- Enter the name of the podcast you want to listen to or a description of the podcast.
- Browse through the list of available podcasts and choose the one you want by tapping on the name. This will navigate to the podcast’s homepage.
- Tap on any of the episodes listed on the podcast’s homepage and tap the play button to listen to it.
- You can access the playback controls from the Now Playing screen by tapping the player at the bottom of your phone’s screen. The playback controls allow you to do any of the following:
- Rewind or fast forward through an episode. Tap the 30-second fast forward button or 15-second rewind button to move back and forth through the episode.
- You can also adjust the playback speed. Simply tap the speed button (1x) to choose normal speed, double speed, half speed, or one and a half speed.
- Set a time for the podcast to stop playing or when it should start playing. Tap the Sleep Timer button from the Now Playing screen and set your preferred time.
- Tap “Subscribe” if you like the content and the app will automatically download new episodes straight to your podcast library whenever they become available.
Other Great Podcast Apps
You are not limited to the Apple Podcasts app on your iPhone. You can download other great alternatives that offer better design and great customization. Some of the widely popular options include Castro, Fusebox, Spotify, and Overcast.
Now that you’ve seen how to listen to a podcast on iPhone, there’s nothing stopping you from enjoying your favorite topics and themes. Simply head on to App Store and download your preferred podcast app if you want something with more functionality than Apple’s default Podcasts app.