When it comes to having the right microphone for your podcast, you might be wanting something that will give you a certain degree of freedom from the usual podcast desk. However, there are plenty of podcast mics that will suit this need.
Mobile podcast microphones have really come along in leaps and bounds. You’ll either want one microphone that you can set up for yourself or you’ll want one that is ideal for more than one person.
So where can you find the best mobile podcasting microphones? How much will you have to pay for one of these microphones? What features will you need from your microphone?
Well, if you are looking for the answer to all of these questions and more, then we would suggest that you keep reading.
- #1 Rode PodMic Cardioid Dynamic Broadcast Microphone
- #2 Logitech Blue Yeti Game Streaming Kit With Yeti USB Gaming Mic
- #3 JLab Talk Go USB Microphone
- #4 Logitech For Creators Blue Yeti X USB Microphone
- #5 Elgato Wave:3 – Premium Studio Quality USB Condenser Microphone
- Buyer’s Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
#1 Rode PodMic Cardioid Dynamic Broadcast Microphone
First off, we have a microphone that comes with cardioid technology that will enable you to screen out lots of background sounds. This is ideal if you want a microphone that will give you pristine quality audio.
This comes with a solid XLR cable, which is great if you are looking for a microphone that you can use with an audio database.
You can easily wield this one free-hand or you can put it on a stand that you can mount on your table. When it comes to versatility, then this microphone is a great choice.
This Rode PodMic comes with a great sound, which is ideal if you want your podcast to sound just like the ones that you hear on iTunes.
The good news for people who are new to podcasting is that you can also pick this one up for very cheap. This is great if you are working within a budget.
This comes with a great internal pop filter, which is just great if you want to filter out some of the harsher sounds that can often come out of your mouth.
- Great design – when it comes to the size and the style of this podcast microphone, you won’t find anything better.
- Sturdy design – this is one of the most solid microphones that you can get. This will really help for good handling and consistent sound recording.
- Great price – if you are looking for a microphone that is of a professional standard but will not set you back in terms of price, then we’d definitely recommend this mic.
- Pop filter – this comes with a mesh pop filter, which is great if you are thinking about recording a podcast that sounds professional.
- This does not come with a stand – if you are wanting the reduce the amount of expenditure with your mic, then you might want to opt for a model with the stand included.
#2 Logitech Blue Yeti Game Streaming Kit With Yeti USB Gaming Mic
When it comes to recording, the Blue Yeti is one of the best that you can find on the market. This is the go-to microphone for both podcasting and streaming games.
This comes with a custom pop filter that you can be sure will give you everything that you need to suppress the strong T, P and S sounds.
This comes with a few buttons on the housing of your microphone, including a mute button and volume control. This makes it much easier than controlling the volume (see also ‘How To Make Your Mic Louder‘) through your computer software.
This comes with top-notch sound quality. If you want a microphone that is going to give you that fully-rounded sound, then you can be sure that this one is the one for you.
This microphone comes with various different recording patterns, whether it is bidirectional, omnidirectional or simple stereo.
This will allow you to pick up many different voices at the same time. This also comes with voice modulation, which is great if you are recording a radio series and you want those cool vocal effects.
This is compatible with many different devices, whether it is your Playstation 2 or any other gaming device.
- Internal shock mounting – if you want something that will be able to resist plenty of knocks and bangs without reducing the quality of the recording.
- Switches between different recording formats – if you want to record from one direction or from many directions, then this is the perfect microphone for you.
- Controls – this comes with many controls that are actually built into the body of the microphone itself.
- Plenty of built-in effects – this comes with many different effects that are built into the housing of the microphone itself.
- This microphone is not that well adapted for podcasting, so if you do want a microphone that will record high-quality vocals, then you should opt for another model.
#3 JLab Talk Go USB Microphone
This next microphone has been one of the best that you can use for podcasting and as you can see from the design it simply looks amazing.
This comes with some of the highest sound quality that you can find on the market. You won’t have to worry about your audio crackling or dying out.
This microphone comes with a flip-out stand that is built into the microphone itself. This is amazing if you want that stable, hands-free style of recording.
This comes with an easy-to-use plug in and play system. You won’t need any other additional drivers or software to use this one.
This comes with controls in the housing that will definitely ensure that you have control over all the sound settings of your microphone.
This features many different plug in options, whether it is an XLR cable or USB, you’ll have everything that you need for a decent audio playback.
This comes with two different directional modes: omni and cardioid. These two will perform many different functions, whether it is screening out background noise or focusing on one sound source.
- A handy stand – this comes with a great stand that you can be sure will give you everything that you need for solid support.
- Many volume controls – if you are looking for something that you can be sure will give you premium quality sound and the ability to control it as you wish, then you can count on this one.
- Good tripod stand – this comes with a foldable tripod stand that looks awesome, you really won’t have to worry about your microphone bumping or getting knocked over.
- USB and XLR connectivity – if you would rather have a digital or computer recording, it doesn’t matter, as this microphone will give you both.
- Sensitive to background noise – if you want something that will definitely not pick up your background noise, then you might want to find another model.
#4 Logitech For Creators Blue Yeti X USB Microphone
This next microphone is an upgrade from the Blue Yeti that we’ve mentioned above and, when it comes to mobile microphones, then you really cannot go wrong.
This comes with gain-mounted controls, which will allow you a greater degree of control over your microphone. You won’t have to go through your software to fiddle with the settings on this one.
If you are wanting to record live, then these volume and gain settings will really come in handy as they will give you everything that you need for a decent sound system.
This comes with superb surround sound, which is great if you are wanting to record more than one person. This is also great for use with a live recording of your band.
The Blue Yeti USB microphone is also very sturdy, which is very important when you are recording sound that comes without any interruption.
- Durable and well-made – when it comes to having a well-built microphone, then you can’t go wrong with this model.
- Easy to use – all you have to do is plug this one into your computer or your audio interface and you’ll be ready to go.
- Smart dial – this is very important for getting the right levels, whether it is volume or gain levels.
- Multi-directional recording – if you are looking for something that you can record multiple sounds from many directions, then we would suggest this microphone.
- Expensive – unfortunately with a greater amount of features comes a higher price tag. You’ll need to make sure that you are committed to recording a high-quality podcast.
#5 Elgato Wave:3 – Premium Studio Quality USB Condenser Microphone
This microphone is one of the best when it comes to getting rid of any unwanted sounds. This comes with a great retro look that will elevate any podcast setup.
This comes with an intuitive setup that you can be sure will give you everything that you need for decent sound output.
This comes with a simple plug in and play USB setup. You won’t have to install any extra software to use this microphone.
This comes with software if you want to use it. It is called a stream deck, which is ideal if you are looking to make adjustments to your live sound mix as you are recording.
- Great sound quality – this microphone is used by some of the best podcasts that you can find on the market.
- Clipguard technology – this will stop your audio from clipping and give you a completely clean sound.
- Retro design – if you are looking for something different for your video podcast, then we would certainly recommend you pick this one.
- Sensitive to background noise – this one will pick up any background noise, which might be a problem if you are not working in a soundproofed room.
There are a few things that you’ll be looking for when you are buying your mobile podcasting microphone. Here are a few of them:
How Mobile Is It?
When you are looking for a podcast mic, you’ll be wanting something that you can wield with ease. This means that it will not be too heavy and that it might come with an opposable arm.
How Good Is The Sound Quality?
This is very important if you want your podcast to sound just like the ones that you download and listen to every day. You’ll need something with a wire mesh over the front that helps suppress the Ps and Ts.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Much Should I Pay For A Decent Mobile Microphone For My Podcast?
This will all depend on what level of sound quality you want from your podcast mic as well as how frequently you’re going to be using your mic. If you are going to be recording frequently, you might want to spend over $100 on your microphone.
We hope that this article has helped you to decide what the best mobile podcasting microphone is best for you. Make sure that you buy something that is sturdy and comes with a tripod, as this will ensure a solid and consistent recording.