If you’re thinking about starting a podcast, coming up with great podcast ideas can be daunting.
The good news is, there are many great podcasts already out there that you could listen to, learn from, and even incorporate into yours (also see, ‘ Should I Start A Podcast?‘).
However, choosing a podcast topic to talk about can be tough.
This guide will walk you through some of the best podcast ideas to choose from for a successful podcast (also see, ‘How To Get Into Podcasting‘).
Here Are 42 Podcast Ideas To Get You Started:
Tutorials are a great option to make a podcast from and are often the first port of call when people want to learn a specific skill.
Here are some podcasting tips on popular topics (also see, ‘What Makes A Good Podcast Tips‘).
If you love making crafts, you might want to consider starting a craft tutorial podcast.
There are plenty of people out there looking for step-by-step instructions on everything from knitting to building furniture.
If you can teach others how to do something, you’ll likely find yourself with a growing audience.
Woodworking is another popular hobby among many people.
And it’s one of the easiest hobbies to pick up because you usually just need basic tools like saws, drills, sanders, clamps, and measuring tape.
So if you’re good at woodworking, you could easily set up shop and sell plans online.
Or you could offer tips and advice to help others learn how to build things themselves.
Sewing has been around since ancient times.
Nowadays, sewing is still very useful in creating clothes for ourselves or for other people.
Some people enjoy learning how to sew and it’s a great idea for your creative audience.
Home Improvement Tutorials
Home improvement is also a very popular hobby and can save people the cost of hiring an expensive workman.
Whether you’re interested in home decorating, landscaping, gardening, or anything else related to improving your home, you could start a podcast dedicated to teaching others how to improve their homes.
How-to guides are all over the internet. They cover everything from a tech podcast to cooking to photography to crafting.
If you’re passionate about any of these subjects, you could create a podcast dedicated to teaching people how to do specific tasks.
Psychology is one of those topics that people love to talk about.
And it makes sense — there are so many different aspects to our personalities and behaviors.
Although psychology is a broad subject there are thousands of subfields within the field of psychology, each focusing on a particular aspect of the subject.
For example, clinical psychologists study mental illness while developmental psychologists focus on how children develop.
Some psychologists even specialize in studying animals. So what does this mean for podcasters?
Well, it means that there are lots of ways to approach the subject.
A good place to start might be to narrow down podcast topic ideas to a specific area of psychology. You could talk about:
In addition to focusing on a specific topic, another option is to focus on a specific psychological theory. This could include:
- Freudian psychoanalytic theories
- Cognitive behavior therapy
- Attachment theory
There are plenty of fascinating ideas here. Once you’ve identified a topic, the next step is to figure out what you want to say.
After all, a podcast isn’t really worth anything unless you have some unique perspective to offer.
To help you along, consider looking into the work of leading psychologists.
Perhaps you can interview a famous psychologist and ask him/her questions about his or her research.
If you don’t know anyone personally, you can always look online for interviews with experts in the field.
Help take the guesswork out by reviewing products for your listeners.
Whether you are into beauty, fashion, health, fitness, food, tech, music, or something else, there is likely a brand or companies offering products that fit your interests.
Reviewing products allows your audience to know what to buy without having to go through hours of research.
If you do decide to accept a sponsored deal, you can mention your show in the description box.
Nutrition And Diet
There are countless ways and interesting stories to write about nutrition.
You could talk about the latest fad diet, or you could talk about why we eat what we do.
Or maybe you want to show people how to cook healthy meals on a podcast episode. Whatever it is, there are tons of options out there.
Pop culture is one of the most popular categories for podcasts, according to Podtrac, a provider of analytics software for podcasters.
There are many reasons why pop culture makes for great topics, including its broad appeal, easy availability, vast number of interesting and funny stories from everyday life to choose from, and relative lack of competition.
But it’s important to know what you want to talk about your own podcast and how to make sure you don’t repeat yourself when you make a podcast.
Here are some examples of common themes in pop culture podcasts:
- Celebrity news and celebrity interviews
- TV Shows
- True crime podcasts
Self-help podcasts are great podcast format for an audience looking to improve themselves or their businesses.
They help you learn how to make better decisions, become happier, build confidence, overcome fears, find success, and much more.
In fact, research shows that listening to self-help podcasts improves people’s lives, including their financial situation, health, relationships, and even job satisfaction.
There are many different types of self-help podcasts out there, such as motivational, inspirational, educational, comedy podcast, and others.
You could do an entire podcast about anything — whether it’s making money, learning a language, losing weight, starting a business, improving social skills, or building confidence.
There are no rules here; just pick a podcast idea you want to talk about, record some podcast episodes, and launch into it.
Global New And Politics – Interesting Stories
If you want to make money off your passion, you shouldn’t limit yourself to local news and topics.
There is a target audience willing to pay for your expertise on global events. You could start out as a podcast host by offering political commentary.
This includes any podcast episode ideas from reporting on current affairs to predicting future elections. You could also focus on the economy.
Many companies rely on data about the state of the world economy to determine whether certain products will sell well.
A lot of businesses use market research to learn what consumers think about different brands.
You could provide insight into how customers feel about a particular product.
30 Unique Podcast Topic Ideas That Are In Untapped Niches
- Quantum Curiosities – Exploring the wonders and mysteries of quantum physics for non-scientists.
- Lost Languages – A deep dive into extinct and endangered languages, their history, culture, and attempts at revival.
- Musical Cities – Exploring the unique music scenes of different cities around the world.
- Kitchen Experiments – A fun take on science and experimentation with everyday items in your kitchen.
- Retro Future – Discussions on predictions of the future made in the past, how they compare to our current reality.
- Mindful Machines – Exploring the intersection of mindfulness and technology.
- The Dog Walker Diaries – Interviews with dog walkers sharing their funny and heartwarming stories.
- Cosmic Food – Discussing the history and future of food in space.
- World Through Stamps – A look at history, geography, and culture through stamp collecting.
- Everyday Superheroes – Stories of ordinary people doing extraordinary things.
- Esoteric Economies – A deep-dive into the economies of little-known industries or unusual businesses.
- Voices from the Void – Discussions on the philosophical implications of the vastness of space.
- Vintage Video Games – Looking back at the evolution of the video game industry.
- Forgotten Women of History – Spotlighting less-known women who have made significant contributions throughout history.
- The Science of Laughter – Exploring what makes things funny from a psychological and neurological perspective.
- Caffeine Chronicles – A journey through the history, production, and culture surrounding coffee and tea around the world.
- Sustainable Fashion Unraveled – Investigating the impact of fashion on the environment and solutions for a more sustainable future.
- Sonic Sculptures – An exploration of the world of sound art and acoustic design.
- Puppeteer’s Playhouse – A behind-the-scenes look at the art of puppeteering in film, TV, and theater.
- Microbial Marvels – Exploring the world of microorganisms and their impact on our daily lives.
- Future of Libraries – Discussing how libraries are evolving in the digital age.
- The Great Outdoors Indoors – Tips and stories about indoor gardening and bringing nature into your home.
- Cryptography Chronicles – Discussions on the history and future of secret codes and encryption.
- Artificial Intelligence Ethics – A deep dive into the ethical considerations in the field of AI.
- Nomadic Narratives – Stories from full-time RVers and digital nomads.
- Bizarre Holidays – Exploring unusual and obscure holidays around the world.
- Eco-tourism Escapades – Discussing the best places for eco-friendly travel and adventure.
- Silent Cinema Stories – Exploring the history, stars, and stories of the silent film era.
- Astrobiology Assumptions – Discussing the possibilities of life beyond Earth and what it might look like.
- Dive into Deep Time – Discussions about the concept of geologic (deep) time, earth’s history, and the events that have shaped our planet.
Podcasts are a great way to showcase knowledge and earn a passive income in the process, what’s not to love! Don’t forget to come up with an exciting podcast name, or your future listeners may never find your shoW (hint: you can use a name generator for inspiration). Happy recording!