We’re sure that you’ll agree with us when we say that, when it comes to our “awkward situations that we’d like to avoid” – a quiet, long drive is pretty high up.
So, regardless of whether you’ve got a big roadtrip lined up, a staycation planned with your special someone or you simply want to make your long commutes to work more enjoyable – we’ve got you covered.
Sure, even though music playlists are very necessary when it comes to drives (no matter how long they are, might we add) sometimes music just isn’t able to help beat the boredom – and this is where the magic of a podcast comes into the picture!
Audio series are engaging and productive ways to pass the time, and the best part? When it comes to a podcast, all you’ll need to do is hit play, relax and let the hosts do the talking.
The only question is, which podcasts are the best for a long drive?
If you’re currently asking yourself this question and want to compile a list for future drives – rest assured that you have come to the right place.
In this guide, we are going to be providing you with a list of our handpicked podcast favorites ideal for keeping you company when you hit the road next. Just keep reading!
The Best Podcasts For A Long Drive
The best part about podcasts is just how versatile they are. No matter what you’re in the mood for – you can bet that there’s going to be a podcast out there that will be perfect for you.
Still, with so many different genres of podcasts out there, it can be hard to settle on a shortlist – keep reading to discover what we like to listen to during our long drives:
Given the fact that you’re on the hunt for a podcast that is going to be suitable for helping you pass the time on a long drive – it only makes sense that the first podcast we recommend to you should be a travel podcast!
This awesome podcast follows three people from different walks of life (a chef, a comedian and a photographer) as they travel the world, experience new cultures and learn a thing or two about themselves along the way.
This series is fun, lighthearted and the ideal podcast to reach for when you’re in the mood for some easy listening.
Oh, and if you happen to enjoy cooking, you’re in luck – because the Travel Tales hosts also place emphasis on trying new cuisines and recipes in each country that they find themselves visiting. Relaxing, fun and super easy to listen to – you’ll love it.
Next up, we simply had to choose Newcomers. Fronted by comedians Nicole Byer and Laren Lapkus, this outrageously fun podcast focuses on pop culture reviews that are full of gossip, intrigue and plenty of great jokes along the way.
To give you an idea of what you can expect from each episode, the two hosts typically tend to center their topics around cultural moments that define the zeitgeist, including things such as Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Fast and Furious and many others.
If you’ve got a long drive planned, you love all things movies and pop culture, and you don’t mind hearing a joke here and there – Newcomers are just for you.
Are you a true crime lover? If you answered yes to that question, then we think that the My Favorite Murder podcast should certainly be on your radar if it’snt already.
An immensely popular podcast show, My Favorite Murder is a podcast series that is fronted by hosts Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark.
The pair talk about various murder tales, while also frequently inviting on listeners and friends and family to share some of their own tales that they would like to share, too.
Keeping with the theme of true crime, this next podcast that we have to share with you is also centered around mystery, crime and all things spooky and scary.
Offering a unique spin on the traditional way of simply listening to a podcast, this mystery podcast allows its listeners to become a detective!
From there, you will be presented with a variety of facts, clues, interviews and more in order to help you solve the mystery.
At the end of the show, the culprit is revealed, and you will be given a backstory into the true crime tale that the episode was loosely inspired by. Sounds awesome to us.
Here’s another podcast worthy of listening to next time that you hit the road for a long drive.
This podcast is so popular that it’s now got its very own TV series – but if you’d like to stick to the podcast for now, it’s absolutely perfect for keeping you company on a long drive.
This podcast is a psychological thriller that includes a star-studded cast including Oscar Isaac and Amy Sedaris to name a few.
It is situated around a plot that follows the story of a therapist that is helping soldiers re-adjust to normal, everyday life after developing PTSD from their war experiences.
The treatment program, however, is a lot more intricate than the therapist first thought – and it just so happens to go by the name of “Homecoming”.
Interested? Give it a go next time you embark on a long journey – it might just become your go-to listen.
6. Love Me
Love Me is just one of those podcasts that we think everyone needs to listen to at least once.
It’s funny, relatable and easy to listen to – but besides all that, it’s a genuinely engaging and immersive podcast that centers itself all around relationships including those shared with loved ones, family members, and of course – that special someone.
There’s a great mixture of relationship- themed topics to sink your teeth into, and we’re sure that the thought provoking conversations will help to make your upcoming long drive pass quickly.
7. Here To Slay
Hosted by the bestselling autho Roxane Gay as well as sociologist Dr. Tressie McMillian Cottom – this is an engging and thought-provoking podcast series that centers around topics that women and people of color often find themselves facing in society.
Each episode takes a look at relevant topics pertaining to this, and often includes a variety of guest speakers such as Gabrielle Union, Stacey Abrams, Ava Dubernay and many more.
Arguably one of the most popular podcasts ever made, You’re Wrong About is the perfect accompaniment to your long drives!
This podcast is fronted by Michael Hobbes and Sarah Marshall – who both spend each episode discussing, debunking and uncovering the truth of various myths, misconceptions in popular culture and more.
From Princess Diana all the way to Yoko Ono – this podcast contains thorough research, interesting discussion and plenty of truth-telling.
If you’re in the mood to listen to a podcast that’s going to set the record straight – you’ll absolutely love listening to the You’re Wrong About podcast!
What better way to pass the time during your long drive than to listen to the country’s most beloved country music icon?
Dolly Parton’s America is a fun and interesting podcast that not only takes a deep dive look into the life and career of Dolly Parton – but it also analyzes how Dolly Parton has shaped American culture as a whole.
Regardless of whether you happen to be a Dolly Parton fan or not – this is a podcast that you should make sure that you listen to at least once, and is the perfect partner for your upcoming long drive!
Last but certainly not least, the final long drive-certified podcast recommendation that we have to share with you is this fantastic show – Let’s Talk About Myths, Baby!
Just like the title of this podcast suggests, here we have a podcast that centers itself around all types of myths – from historical mythology all the way to controversial myths prevalent in pop culture.
The host, Live Albert, takes a deep dive into a variety of different myths, all while examining them from a more modern perspective. It’s one to sink your teeth into!
Best Road Trip Podcasts For Kids
- Wow in the World: Join hosts Mindy Thomas and Guy Raz on exciting and educational adventures that explore fascinating scientific discoveries and wonders of the world.
- Brains On!: A science podcast for curious minds, where young listeners’ questions about various topics are answered through fun and informative discussions.
- Story Pirates: Immerse your kids in the world of storytelling as professional actors bring to life creative stories written by children.
- But Why: A Podcast for Curious Kids: Host Jane Lindholm answers questions submitted by curious young minds, covering a wide range of topics from science and nature to culture and history.
- Circle Round: Enjoy folktales from around the world that are brought to life with vibrant storytelling and enchanting music.
- Smash Boom Best: Engage in friendly debates between two interesting topics, such as unicorns vs. dragons or pizza vs. tacos, and let your kids pick their favorites.
- Eleanor Amplified: Follow the adventures of the world-famous radio reporter Eleanor Amplified as she goes on thrilling quests and solves mysteries.
- The Alien Adventures of Finn Caspian: A serialized science-fiction podcast that takes young listeners on an intergalactic journey with Finn Caspian and his friends.
- Storynory: Delight in classic fairy tales, myths, and original stories, beautifully narrated and perfect for kids’ imagination.
- Tumble Science Podcast for Kids: Discover the wonders of science through interviews with scientists and explorations of fascinating scientific concepts.
Bonus: Top 10 Podcasts to Download for Road Trips
- “Serial“: Dive into gripping true crime stories that unfold over multiple episodes, making it perfect for a long drive.
- “The Joe Rogan Experience“: Join comedian Joe Rogan as he engages in thought-provoking conversations with a wide range of guests, including experts, celebrities, and fascinating individuals.
- “Stuff You Should Know”: Expand your knowledge on various intriguing topics with hosts Josh and Chuck as they explore everything from history to science and popular culture.
- “The Daily“: Stay informed and updated on the latest news with concise, in-depth reporting and analysis from The New York Times.
- “Radiolab“: Explore the wonders of science, philosophy, and human curiosity through captivating storytelling and thought-provoking discussions.
- “How I Built This“: Discover the inspiring stories behind successful companies and brands as host Guy Raz interviews entrepreneurs and innovators.
- “Comedy Bang! Bang!”: Get your dose of laughter with this hilarious comedy podcast featuring entertaining interviews, improvisation, and absurd humor.
- “TED Radio Hour“: Embark on a journey of ideas with TED Talks reimagined for radio, covering a wide range of topics from technology to psychology and beyond.
- “Criminal“: Delve into fascinating and often unexpected stories from the world of crime, exploring the human side of lawbreaking.
- “The Moth“: Experience the power of storytelling as real people share their extraordinary and captivating tales on stage.
There we have it – you’ve made it to the end. Now that you have read through our guide above, we hope that we have been able to give you some inspiration on what to put on your “to listen” list next time that you embark on a long drive!
Before you go, why don’t you give this page a bookmark? That way, if you ever need to come back for some long drive podcast inspiration, you will know exactly where to find us. Or check our top podcasts hub should you be looking for a specific type of Podcast to listen to.
Thank you for taking the time to read through this guide, and happy podcasting!